People over Symptoms/Issues/Policies

Most of you know that over 7 years ago, I was diagnosed with Stage 3 Ovarian Cancer, which was a scary and hard diagnoses!  I know that God had us exactly where we needed to be at just the right time.  He placed us in the hands of Dr. Dwight Im, an amazing gynecological oncologist in Baltimore, MD.  Ovarian Cancer, really any cancer is scary and hard to battle.

From the beginning though, I knew we were in the right hands, that God placed this doctor over my case.  And the reason I know is because Dr. Im treated and looked at me as a human being created and loved by God, not as a symptom or a disease to treat.  He always welcomed us with a hug and a smile.  He truly cared how we were doing not only physically but emotionally and as a family.  He never discussed statistics because I was not a statistic as he told me many times.  I am an individual and a human being. I am incredibly grateful for God placing him as my doctor.

As I was driving to work this morning and truly heartbroken over many things in this world, but at this current time, the refugee/immigration policies of this country.  I do not like to get into political debates or policies or fights at all.....but this one is so much more than political or policy.  This one is people, children that God created in His image to be loved!



Back to me praying wile driving.....God clearly brought the image of Dr. Im to my mind.  He brought the image to me of him and how he loved us right through cancer, he didn't treat the symptom or the disease, he treated and loved the person that I am.

God related the immigration policy and this image of doctor to me because I think He wanted me to see that His children, ALL of them, are what He cares about.  I believe that it breaks His heart every time we put a policy, a law, a disease, an issue, whatever it is over the person that God created.

Now let me address the fact that I do truly believe that we need rules, we need policies, we need laws, I truly do!  I have to make tough decisions every day in the work that I do.  And many times, I have to exercise tough love and every time it breaks my heart and puts me into a little bit of a funk.  Every time though, I try to look at the entire situation and every person involved, especially the children, I try to see if they are being shown His love, if they are being treated as a child of God.

Children of God are given consequences for choices that go against God's law but God NEVER withdraws His love!

I truly believe that we can create policies and laws and treat issues and symptoms or disease while putting God first and His children next.  That we can love the Lord our God with all our heart, soul, and mind and love our neighbors as ourself.  Will it be perfect, no, because we are not God, but I know that we are supposed to try!

God clearly showed me today a picture of my doctor loving me and treating me as a child of God, a person, not a disease!  He showed me that so that I will remember to always look at the person and LOVE the child of God first, then deal with the issue or treat the symptom next.  Today, I am proclaiming that I am a Christ follower first and foremost in every decision I make.

Comments

Popular Posts