Refocus

I am not a photographer but I have many great friends and family members that take great photos so I know that focus is really important.  When they are instructing me on the most important aspects, focus has definitely been part of the discussion.  "You want to make sure you are really centered on the main point of the photo and try to get rid of as much of the unwanted back ground as possible."  I think my SIL told me this and I have never forgotten it when I am taking pictures.  I always try to center on my kids (usually) and then zoom in as much as I can so that I don't get unnecessary background.  I also look for places (when possible) that don't have a lot of unneccessary background.

This morning, I am seeing that this tip is really applicable to life in general. 

Monday when I was really needing to do laundry and didn't have the energy, I chose to refocus on the joy and laughter of playing with my little Ady instead of the piles of laundry that I couldn't do.

Tuesday when I started to look at camp and the many things that need to get done, I chose to refocus on the many people surrounding me that are willing to jump up and help at the drop of a hat. 

Today when I am climbing the stairs and feel like an 80 year old woman, I am choosing to refocus my eyes on God and to say "Help me, Jesus!"  This takes my eyes off of my present pain and frustration and puts my focus on my Savior who is capable of all things.

When I am parenting my 2 precious teens and I am getting frustrated with their decisions, I am choosing to refocus on the fact that they both love God and while they both will mess up in life, Jesus is right there to pick them back up and love them.  I am chosing to say, "Help me, Jesus!" and to then focus on the good in their lives rather than dwelling in the bad choices. 

When looking at all the clutter around my house and I am starting to get bogged down with the frustration and stress of everything going on with moving, I am going to choose to zoom in and focus on the boxes that are already neatly packed because of the wonderful people who God put in my  life.

Basically I am realizing that I could look at the big picture and choose to see the mess, the pain, the frustration, the bad choices, the disappointment, and much more clutter in the background....
OR
I can choose to refocus on the central figure in my life...Jesus....and by doing that all the clutter in the background becomes much easier to handle. 

Take Peter for example:
Matthew 14:28-33
English Standard Version (ESV)
28 And Peter answered him, “Lord, if it is you, command me to come to you on the water.” 29 He said, “Come.” So Peter got out of the boat and walked on the water and came to Jesus. 30 But when he saw the wind,[a] he was afraid, and beginning to sink he cried out, “Lord, save me.” 31 Jesus immediately reached out his hand and took hold of him, saying to him, “O you of little faith, why did you doubt?” 32 And when they got into the boat, the wind ceased. 33 And those in the boat worshiped him, saying, “Truly you are the Son of God.”

When he was forcusing on the wind and the waves, he was overwhelmed with fear but when he reached for Jesus' hand and focused on Him, all things were possible.

This post was once again partly inspired by my reading in the "Jesus Calling" devotional.  Also by the many amazing photographers in my life. 

Comments

  1. You write so beautifully and express yourself so well. Seriously, I am always overwhelmed by your self-discipline and just how amazingly you are handling life these days. God has lots of people to bless with your life and your story...and I'm so glad that I am one of those people. Stay focused on the immediate needs and all the rest will happen - or not! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love you and love this perspective.

    PS: Communication - StrengthsFinder doesn't lie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ditto what Nila said. I look forward to reading your next post. {{hugs}}

    ReplyDelete
  4. Once again, You have touched many lives. God is truly in control, and you are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Praying for peace and focus for you. Love you. You inspire me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Praying for peace and focus for you. Love you. You inspire me.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts