The Samaritan Woman

I have read and/or hear the story of the Samaritan woman at the well multiple times in my life.  There are so many lessons wrapped up in one story and the one I have heard the most is how Jesus taught her truth and extended His grace.  That is usually how I relate to this story in my life and in working with others.

This morning though as I was reading the story in John 4, verse 7 through 9 really stuck out to me.

John 4:7-9New International Version (NIV)

When a Samaritan woman came to draw water, Jesus said to her, “Will you give me a drink?” (His disciples had gone into the town to buy food.)


The Samaritan woman said to him, “You are a Jew and I am a Samaritan woman. How can you ask me for a drink?” (For Jews do not associate with Samaritans.[a])

How often do we let our laws, rules, and stereotypes dictate how we treat or relate to a person?  I know that I sometimes do.  We live in a world full of preconceived ideas and thoughts, we put people in a box, we assume things about them before we even know them.  
Jesus knew ALL about this woman and yet, He still loved her, He still asked her for a drink, He still extended His grace.  Jesus knew all the rules of this world but He didn't care.  He knew He was to here to teach us a new way:

John 13:34-35New International Version (NIV)

34 “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. 35 By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.”
Yet, many years later, we still struggle with this.  How do we move past it?  How do we LOVE one another?  How do we reach out to those that might not be the same as us?  How do we extend His truth and GRACE above all? 
I think we begin by reaching out and then listening! We have to get out of our comfort zones and we have to cross boundaries! I know that WWJD has become a cliche saying but the truth is, we should always ask, "What would Jesus do?"  
Please feel free to offer a thought or comment below.

Comments

  1. I agree. When I first started Safe families I wanted to help the child but was fearful of getting to know mom. She was different than me and she lived in a rough neighborhood. I was sure she had bad intentions toward me and I had never even met her. Well fast forward 2 years and I have gotten to know her. She does live in a rough place and is different than me but she had no ill intentions toward me. Truth is that she is a mother, a daughter, a woman just like me. She struggles in her world like I do in mine. She has fears/had fears about my ill intentions too. For example she worried I was trying to take her child to raise as my own. So I think all of us operate out of fears, sterotypes, judgements and miss alot of opportunities to love and be loved because of fear.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts